The packaging industry is one of the first to meet the demand for environmentally friendly products. Corrugated boxes, which are widely used across industries, are the best example of being both sustainable and eco-friendly. They are 100% recyclable and reusable. Made from renewable resources, corrugated boxes are much sought after because they not only provide cushioning effect for the products stored inside but also prevent from moisture from getting in and damaging the products.
Over the years, innovation has helped manufacturers to go beyond traditional corrugated boxes and use materials and processes that are inexpensive and durable. Today, corrugated boxes come with varying structural strengths for different applications and have a longer lifespan. It is possible to reuse the same box for extended periods of time without compromising on its durability and strength.
Here are some tips on choosing the right box for your product:
- Product weight matters a lot: This is one of the most important factors taken into consideration for determining the right thickness of a corrugated box. For instance, die-cut boxes, slotted boxes, full overlap boxes, and edge boards may come in different thickness levels; however, the product weight and type plays an important role in determining the thickness of the box.
- Consider the stacking needs: It is important to know beforehand how much weight will be stacked on a corrugated box. In case, the box is being unitized with other corrugated boxes then it may require additional strength. In any case, it is important to understand the environment under which the goods will be transported.
- Consider the fillers: When choosing the corrugated box size, it is important to take into account the kind of fillers you are going to use. For instance, the volume of polystyrene fill chips, bubble wrap, airbags, and loose fills. The fillers may provide additional cushioning for the products you ship but also take up more space.
- Consider the sealing options: In most cases, BOPP film-based tapes are often the best bet for sealing corrugated boxes. They come coated with superior aqueous acrylic adhesive and are in transparent color. They provide the first line of defense. However, additional strapping and wrapping can be used for enhanced safety.
- Consider the product durability: Some of the shipped products may be fragile and require delicate care while storing and transporting. There may be rough handling of the boxes or heavier boxes may be placed on them. In such cases, the box requires Fragile Stickers that should explicitly draw the attention of handlers.