Starting a Business? Need a durable packaging for your product? It all comes down to choose the right packaging at your appropriate budget for all your products. More than 90% of goods are packed in corrugated boxes, and it is no wonder that it is one of the most preferred package solutions now. One might be filled with numerous uncertainties and questions when it comes to opting the right corrugated box. Here’s a detailed overview to help you out with your decision.
Types Of Corrugated Boxes
Numerous factors go into making a corrugated box, and hence there are considerable variations in the nature and design of a corrugated box. With a vast number of elements in play, corrugated boxes are the most versatile and customizable packaging solution to date.
Based on the flute size, the thickness of the wall of the corrugated box is determined, and it relates as the stacking strength. Greater the thickness, greater the strength, and higher the cushioning effect. Based on this there are majorly five types of boards employed in making a corrugated box. These are,
- 1 Ply: This type of packaging comes as a roll which is just used as a wrap around. A 1 Ply roll is specially used to wrap unevenly shaped objects before they are packed in bigger boxes. For instance, fragile items, paintings, metal frames, household items, and office stationery are wrapped with such packing.
- 2 Ply: This type of packaging also comes as a roll which is nothing but a bonded laminate of smooth and fluted paper. This is ideally used for wrapping larger items before securing them in larger boxes. This type of packaging material offers safety during transit and is considerably light-weight too. A 2 Ply is versatile in packaging all sorts of items for extra cushioning during transportation.
- 3 Ply: It is the most commonly used type where one sheet of the corrugated medium is sandwiched between two sheets of the liner. Boxes made of 3 Ply are usually employed to pack and store light-weight items. These boxes are often used for courier and shipping smaller items safely. It is a cost-effective option for light-weight products.
- 5 Ply: As the name suggests, two layers of the corrugated medium is conjoined between three sheets of the liner. This type is majorly employed in handling and shipping heavier products where the boxes are stacked for longer periods. 5 Ply boxes are tough, durable and offer high resistance withstanding 20 Kg – 45 Kg easily, hence used for moving household goods such as televisions, electronics, ovens, etc.
- 7 Ply: Such robust packaging is achieved with gluing three sheets of corrugated medium with four sheets of the liner. This corrugated material is of high-grade industrial use and transporting heavier household items such as refrigerators, washing machines, metal objects, etc. A 7 Ply can easily withstand 40 Kg – over 100 Kg effortlessly.
Other types of corrugated boxes include Die-Cut boxes, Slotted boxes, Full overlap Boxes, Edgeboards where each design is influenced to suit the product design and withstand the pressure.
Factors That Assist You To Choose The Right Corrugated Box
You can either opt for a lighter box for budget reasons or choose the heavy-duty thicker grade for extra strength. Whatever might be your requirement, corrugated boxes are stronger and offer superior protection than any simple cardboard boxes. Choosing among the various thickness and designs best suited for your product that can withstand shipping and storage times is vital.
Of all the packaging solutions in the market, corrugated boxes offer the most economical and cost-effective choices for any product. What’s more comforting is that corrugated boxes are easy to handle and do not require any specific skill set or costly tools to handle them. Moreover, they are easy to recycle, bio-degradable and thus eco-friendly too.
3.Branding Your Business
It’s the age of branding and marketing everywhere! Corrugated boxes can be customized very easily to connect with your customers and promote your brand. Add a hint of your brand through packaging which brings your customers closer.
4.Versatile and Light-Weight Too
Corrugated boxes can be fabricated in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and varying strengths. There’s always a flexible packaging option for every product with corrugated boxes.Another brilliant feature of corrugated boxes is that they are light-weight yet strong. It is highly durable, convenient and easy to transport.
With e-commerce on the rise to a high of 35% annual growth rate which is projected to increase further as well, the demand for durable and quality packaging solutions is on the rise. Corrugated boxes are the best choice to keep up with the needs of the rising market.